Monday 28 April 2014

Interview with julie miles event organiser for Ceramics at the Mill





What are you looking forward to most about the up and coming Ceramics at the Mill?

I am looking forward to meeting up with fellow potters having a good old chinwag with customers and seeing the mill alive with creativity and fabulous work. It is an amazing space and isn't used to its full potential. 



What inspires you to create your work? 

Landscape, the beauty in nature, wanting to share my joy in it and the details that you may miss in your every day life. 

Describe your process and why you use clay? 

I use my sketchbook a lot to draw ideas, sketch out what I want to make.  Then I work in clay whether it's porcelain or stoneware or brick to create what I working on. I love clay, the feel, squidging it through your fingers, the smooth silkiness of slip, the bite of building with a grogged red version allowing bigger and more monumental pieces to be built. It's an amazing and versatile material. 

Are you launching any new products or lines at the show?

I have a number of new designs for my Parian slip cast work launching and also if I get so e time to play I have promised some new hares.....

Anything exciting or different happening this year you can share? 

Well this is the first year I haven't been accepted into Potfest in the Park so I have applied and been accepted into the Contemporary Craft Fair at Bovey Tracey so that's quite exciting in June. Then I was approached by the RHS Tatton Flower show to see if I would be interested in exhibiting in their craft tent. So we are giving it a go this July the same weekend as the Park so we shall see how they compare. It's a completely different type of show so we shall see. 

http://craftsatboveytracey.co.uk/ 

 http://www.rhs.org.uk/

Anything you would like to add? 

I would like to thank everyone for supporting the show. This year we have more exhibitors building on last years success, new work being launched and some amazing skills on display using such a basic material as clay. So put the date in your diaries it's surely an event not to be missed. 



No comments:

Post a Comment